Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Namaste

I was stopped at a red light in downtown Nashville today when I looked over and saw a "crazy person" at the bus stop. He was by himself, facing a blown up map of the bus routes but clearly not reading it. He was talking quite animatedly to himself and gesturing wildly. He would sort of turn his body periodically, not to look at passersby, but just as part of gesturing like some odd form of dance.

I am certainly no expert, but my initial diagnosis is schizophrenia, which tells me a couple things:

1 - This human's behavior was so odd I had to label it to arrive at an explanation.
2 - Anyone who does anything exceedingly weird or out of the ordinary in public (and is talking to themselves and seemingly unaware of the people around them) MUST be a schizophrenic.

(for the sake of this post, I will continue with my assumed diagnosis)

Schizophrenic is a word that I absolutely hate. It completely dehumanizes a person. This is why you might hear me use the phrase "person (man or woman) with schizophrenia." Language is a funny tool. The words you choose to call an object shape your view of that object just as your view of an object shapes the language you choose to describe it. You see how meaning is co-created here? When I or you or anybody else looks at someone and says he or she is a schizophrenic, I/you/whoever has just equated that person with his or her illness. Then, there is nothing left to say about that person. He or she IS their diagnosis. Now let's drug them up and lock them away because they are scary and I don't know how to deal with them and their crazy psychosis thankyouverymuch. It's easy to lock away a schizophrenic (we've been doing it forever). It's not as easy to lock away a human being (who may have a mental illness).

"Why do you care so much?" This is the question you might be asking me right now, so let me explain. This is just my belief. Deep in the core of every individual on this planet, we share something. You might call it a soul, the Holy Spirit, God, the matter or energy that makes up the universe... It doesn't matter, though the language you choose to describe "it" will ultimately shape how you view the world and other people and thus how you act towards them.

Side note: Maybe if we could show more compassion to others we could come to see life as sacred and other people as divine.

Besides, how different am I from a schizophrenic man? There is research indicating that heredity plays a key factor in the illness. So either I got lucky with the genes my parents passed on OR I have yet to experience the trigger that could ultimately lead me down the spiraling path to psychosis.

When I catch myself in the act of judging or shunning someone with schizophrenia, I am failing to acknowledge what the deepest part of my soul knows: there is not much difference between you and me. This failure of acknowledgement is lethal for the shunned and scorned and is nothing more than an illusion of safety for those of us who got lucky.

Compassion and Impeccable Language. Imagine what one could do if they made it their life's work to cultivate these things.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Steven--I can't speak for those with schizophrenia, but I can add my two cents about what it is like to suffer from major depression, borderline personality, and panic. There. I just identified myself with my problems which I think you were trying to discourage in your piece.

    If someone told me 20 years ago that I'd have to handle some of the same problems that plagued my mother's family, I wouldn't have believed them. Surely, I would be able to stop it and maintain my grasp on the reality of my life. It won't happen to me.

    Famous last words.

    Now, when people say to me, "Well, just don't think that way" or "You can choose not to be depressed," I sometimes want to...well, you get the idea. First, no one chooses to have their mind betray them. Second, these kinds of statements assume a level of control that simply isn't there. Or, in my case, not there without a hefty amount of help from modern pharmaceuticals.

    But, I think that's what you were getting at--it's scary to lose control. It's scary to watch and horrific when it happens to you or a loved one.

    Tell me you're thinking about a career in mental health research! Maybe something cool and innovative in music therapy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your comment. While I don't think it is necessary that we be slaves to our problems, you are right, I think, that we do not always get to choose them. I truly appreciate your willingness to share this with me.

      As far as the future, who know what it holds? For now, I'm mostly focusing on music.

      Delete