Thursday, June 7, 2012

Safe and Dry

I realized something.

Some of the very first recordings I did are actually really cool even though I didn't know what I was doing. I wasn't afraid of screwing up because there was nothing to screw up as far as I was concerned.

There's a middle period where recordings I was involved with sound really bad. This was when I was in the Music Production & Engineering program at Berklee. I was learning how to use more tools, thought I knew how to use them, and was afraid of screwing up. These recordings sound boring, safe, and dry.

Then, I began to transcend my "knowledge." The act of playing became fun again, and I started following my intuition rather than my intellectual "understanding" of the tools that I use. I am not really afraid of screwing up anymore because there's nothing to screw up. I use and abuse whatever tools I feel like using and/or abusing at any given moment. I have sonic "colors" in my pallet and am not afraid to paint.

I don't feel like I've fully achieved the transcending of my barriers, but I'm definitely putting myself in a good spot to do so. The next stage I want to be in is where the recordings create themselves and I just push buttons and move faders accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment